Our team did an exhaustive analysis of the 5 Best External CD/DVD Players in 2021 Updated and came up with our final recommendation. Choose the Best External CD Players if you plan to purchase one.
See The Complete Guide.
Now let’s get started,
How to choose the best external CD player? And why buy one?
Laptops are getting more and more compact. This is a pretty good advantage, they are less and less heavy and therefore much more easily transportable. Most of the laptops that you can buy these days can be packed into a backpack without any hassle (especially chromebooks , which are optimized to be practical in every way).
These optimizations in the size and weight of your loyal companions, however, involve sacrifices. Especially on the USB ports but also very often on the CD player which is abandoned. You will therefore no longer be able to read your CDs or DVDs, the best solution is to purchase an external CD player ( external DVD player ).
What are the criteria to take into account when buying an external CD player?
Readers are generally quite similar, there are a few things to pay attention to.
The price: There’s no point in breaking the bank in a CD player when most models provide the same options. It takes around twenty euros in general for a classic model and around thirty euros for a model with a few more options.
The USB connection: you should favor a reader that has a USB 3.0 connection. Even if the 2.0 is quite powerful, it is preferable to take a version 3.0 which is not much more expensive and ensures better reading comfort.
The burner function: obviously this point should be taken into account if you need to burn CDs. It is quite practical all the same, although this function is used less and less.
Additional options: Sometimes some readers offer a little more than a simple reader. In particular, you will see in our selection of the best external CD players models that offer additional USB inputs.
The 5 Best External CD Players of 2020
iAmotus , the entry-level CD player that makes coffee!
It’s not one of the top-of-the-range external CD players, of course, but it does have a few cards up its sleeve.
Let’s start with its installation, which is very simple and fast. No need to install any driver or anything, just connect it by USB to your computer and you’re done. It is compatible with all versions of Windows, Linux and MacOS.
Although it is a USB 2.0 CD player, you should not experience any slowing down when reading. Everything has been well optimized, be it any aspect and especially from the point of view of the size of the device. Indeed, the latter is ultra compact and therefore very easily transportable.
An additional positive point, the device has the burner function, this function is starting to be scarce and is therefore a definite advantage.
BlueFire, an ideal companion
The BlueFire external CD player model is just perfect. It has a USB 3.0 connection but also a type-C connection. This ensures that you read the data very quickly.
Extremely easy to use, the Plug & Play system allows it to be used very quickly. In addition, it is compatible with all operating systems.
Just like the model we presented to you a little above, this CD player has the burner function which can be very practical.
Cocopa USB 3.0
Again a very powerful external CD player . Equipped with USB 3.0 technology. It also has the burner function.
Rodzon , one of the best external CD players
The product offered by Rodzon is very qualitative. Of course, this advance in product quality is reflected in the price. The latter goes to around twenty euros.
Once again this reader takes over the burner function. Although not everyone uses it, our editorial staff is convinced that this function remains very important.
The device comes with a USB Type-C adapter, so don’t worry in case your device doesn’t have a USB port. We add the adapter and you can connect it in type-C.
ANIZR, the best external CD player of our selection
So yes, for this model it will take about ten euros more compared to the average of the other external CD players presented in this article.
This is very easily justified, in particular by the quality of the product. The USB 3.0 connection is a real advantage for reading speed. On this connection, there is also the possibility of connecting it with a type-C port. This is really handy, especially when you see the new laptop models that only have Type-C ports.
This external CD player works on plug and play system. Just connect it by USB or type-C to your device and it will be automatically recognized and usable. It is compatible with all versions of Windows, MacOS or Linux.
The latest in our selection is the best external CD player on the market for a small reason that sets it apart from the competition. It has additional USB ports but also an SD and Micro SD card reader.
In conclusion, the ANIZR is the best external CD player because it goes beyond its function of CD player to be a burner as well as a USB hub.
What is an external DVD player?
The external DVD player is a portable electronic device. It is an optical disc drive that you can use to enjoy not only your DVDs but also CDs and Blu-ray discs. This device is small in size, also very light. You can use it for engraving.
Why buy an external DVD player?
Even with the advent of streaming platforms, DVDs remain the best media for viewing videos on a computer.
Unfortunately, internal CD and DVD players are gone. This is the reason why external readers are enjoying growing success today.
These electronic devices are capable not only of reading DVDs, but also of burning to optical media.
Easy to use, these external drives connect to the PC via USB. Small sizes, you can use it anywhere and anytime.
External DVD drives are often necessary when we want to install an operating system, relieve our hard drives and archive our files and documents for several years on physical media.
The different types of external DVD players
There are 3 types of external DVD players. We mainly find simple external DVD players, external DVD players with burner and new generation external DVD players.
- Simple external DVD players: These are the cheapest and best-selling models. These external DVD players can play CDs and DVDs. These models, simple to use, are also easy to find.
- External DVD players with burner: As their name suggests, these DVD players are necessary to keep your multimedia files and your personal or professional documents on solid physical media (CD or DVD). The only drawback: Their selling price is higher than that of simple DVD players.
- New generation external DVD players: These DVD players are equipped not only with a burner, but also with the option of reading Blu-ray and HD and UHD formats. These are the DVD players you should choose if you want to enjoy the latest movies in high definition and need a fast and powerful burner.
How to choose your external DVD player?
The choice depends mainly on individual needs. Certain criteria must be taken into consideration to make the right choice. Among which we can mention:
- The price: External DVD players are available in several brands and an infinite number of models. Most models provide the same options (reading and burning). No need to pay too much. You can easily find the best value for money.
- The USB connection: As you know, external DVD players connect to computers via USB cable; There are several types of USB; The fastest connection is via USB 3.0 or USB 2.0; It is therefore preferable to choose one of the two. Also check that the USB ports of your player’s cable are compatible with that of your PC.
- The engraving function: This is one of the most important points to take into account. If you want to take advantage of anexternal DVD driveto secure your digital files on CDs or DVDs, the drive must be equipped with the burning function.
- Reading speed: High-end external DVD players are the fastest when it comes to reading. If you want to use the player to watch very high definition movies, you need to consider the playback speed. This external device converts the information written on the CD or DVD into an electrical signal, then into digital information. Reading speed therefore depends on the reader’s ability to quickly convert this information.
- Sound disturbance: External DVD players make noises. The intensity of this noise depends on the model. This accessory can be either silent or annoying. Before purchasing anexternal DVD player, check this point carefully. Always remember that noise could affect the sound quality of your music or movie.
- The transfer rate: The transfer rate is large enough to be able to burn your files quickly and enjoy your music and movies without interruption. This is the amount of data the drive is capable of transferring in one second from optical media (CD or DVD) to the computer and vice versa.
- The video circuit :The player you need to buy should be able to play several video formats like MPEG4, DivX, MKV etc. The best external DVD players offer superb clarity in the display of the image.
- Additional options: Some readers offer more features and more USB ports. Others are equipped with audio outputs to which you can plug your headphones and headphones.
You would have understood it ! A good external DVD player is, at the same time, small, quiet, light, with several ports, fast reading and writing and shock resistant!
The choice of an external DVD player is not made at random. Several criteria must be taken into account to find the right quality / price ratio. These devices offer a multitude of options. With this device, you can easily save data to optical media and / or play discs.
Make sure that the model is able to meet your needs, both in terms of reading and engraving (double-layer writing for example). Finally, all you have to do is make the right choice and take full advantage of all your optical media!